What Kind of Church is Maranatha?
Maranatha Baptist Church is an evangelical, Christ-centered, and biblically faithful body of believers in the Globe-Miami area. We strive to faithfully follow Jesus Christ in our worship, lives, and through our dedication to proclaiming His death, burial, and resurrection to the world.
What does “Maranatha” mean?
The name “Maranatha” comes from the Apostle Paul’s first letter to the Corinthians found in the Bible. It is an Aramaic word that is only used once in the Bible meaning “O Lord, come!” or “the Lord is coming”. Using this word as the name for our local church comes from our desire to see every knee bow to the name of Jesus and every tongue confess that He is Lord.
What does it mean to be “Baptist”?
We are first and foremost disciples of Jesus Christ and are saved by His grace alone. Being a Baptist simply means that we hold to certain biblical teaching that makes us distinct from other Christians, including, but not limited to:
1. The supremacy of Jesus Christ as both Lord and Savior.
2. The authority of the Bible as our only source of truth.
3. Church members who have been “born again”
4. The beautifully symbolic act of baptizing only people who have professed faith in Jesus Christ.
5. The complete independence of the local church.
6. A congregational form of church government.
7. The spiritual unity of all believers.
What does it mean to be “evangelical”?
Four historic tenets of Christianity make us evangelical:
1. We believe in the absolute necessity of being
2. We have a high view of the Bible as the inspired, infallible Word of God.
3. We are gospel-centered. We focus on the death, burial and resurrection of Jesus Christ.
4. We are intentional about making disciples of Jesus Christ from all nations.
The Five Solas of the Reformation
The “Five Solas” are Latin phrases created during the Reformation of the 1500s. We believe that these phrases are still helpful to the church today as we articulate our core beliefs to the world.
Sola Gratia “Grace Alone”
We are saved by GRACE ALONE
Sola Fide “Faith Alone”
Through FAITH ALONE
Solus Christus “Christ Alone”
Because of the life and work of
Soli Deo Gloria “Glory to God Alone”
All to the GLORY OF GOD ALONE
Sola Scriptura “Scripture Alone”
We know this by the authority of
Pastor Nick Jones
Pastor Jim Ptak